Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe Discussion

Hey guys! Sorry this is a bit late... I've been a bit behind on reading lately - I hope you're still interested in discussing a bit - hehe.

This is about the 4th time I have read this classic from the Chronicles of Narnia and I enjoyed just as much this time around. What a great book, full of great characters and impressive symbols and thought-provoking aspects! I hope you all enjoyed it again (or for the first time), too! Before we begin with discussion questions, I'll just share a few of my thoughts on the book itself: I have always loved this story ever since my mom started to read the Chronicles to Baley and I when we were small. The way C.S. Lewis writes (both in his children's stories and philosophical and religious works) is fascinating and inspiring to me - it creates amazing images and thought-provoking symbols that get my mind reeling. Although the stories do have their differences, I love how the story of Narnia and that of good and evil are parallel in this book. Puts the story of Jesus and his love and mercy in another light. I have to say, C.S. Lewis is definitely one of my favourite Christian authors.

I just have a few questions that I thought might be fun to discuss. I found some of them online. I hope you enjoy them and I look forward to reading your answers. :)

1. Throughout the book there is a paradox about Aslan, which the beavers especially talk about. They say he is good and terrible (wild). What might some of these passages be saying about Aslan? Compare what they say about Aslan to what is said about God in the Bible.

2. How does the reader know that the White Witch's magic is weakening? How is the strength of her power reflected in the seasons? Why?

3. In Narnia the children aren't sure at first whom to trust. Edmund introduces this idea because the White Witch had been so 'nice' to him. Why can it be difficult to know whom to trust? Why doesn't Edmund notice that the White Witch's smile 'isn't so nice'? Why doesn't notice what's happening to him?

4. Each of the children undergoes some changes throughout the course of the novel. Discuss how these changes impact their characters. How does sibling interaction shape both them and the plot?

5. Symbolism is quite prevalent in this book. Discuss what Narnia and Aslan symbolize and how their portrayals shape Lewis's message. Who or what else is symbolic? How?

6. In what way does the Professor help Peter and Susan in believing their sister's 'ridiculous' story about Narnia? Discuss.

My answers to these questions will also follow shortly. Enjoy May's book and look forward to discussing more with you!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm soo bad. Sorry it isn't until now that I'm responding. I have to say, I really enjoyed this book and it was my first time reading it and it wont be the last. Lewis is such a phenomenal writer.

    1. I think what they mean is that you will feel safe around him but at the same time you know not to mess with him. I'm not sure if that totally makes sense. In comparison with God/Jesus, children felt same around Him, but at the same time He drove the money changers/lenders out of the temple.

    2. The reader knows that its weakened when Christmas finally comes, and winter is moving into spring. Remember Mr. Tumnus said that it is always winter never Christmas.

    3. I have had the experience of moving a couple of times in my life and changing schools, and it is hard to know whom to trust and who really is nice and who just uses you for things. When you are new some place and someone shows an interest in befriending you, it is very easy at first to trust them. Edmund had that experience with the White Witch, but not only was she nice to him, but she gave him his FAVORITE desert and a hot drink. Until you have seen someones true colors, you only see what you/they want you to see.

    4. Well they are the only family that they have, they are separated from their parents, and their for the two older ones have taken on the role of protector. But when they are the only family that they have, it actually brings you closer, in a tighter bond.

    5. Like you said it is the classic, good vs. evil. Narnia in many ways represents heaven, but as we see in the book it is also the battle ground of the great controversy. Aslan represents our creator that came down to same us from the evil one.

    6. He help them see that she was the truthful one the majority of time and that Edmund was normally the trouble maker.

    ReplyDelete