Thursday, March 31, 2011

January-March "Prince Caspian"

Hello all! I hope that you have enjoyed our first book of the year. Heading into this bookclub a year ago, I had never read any of C.S. Lewis' "The Chronicles of Narnia" I had only watched the films that had been released. I have been enjoying going through this series and I look forward to reading the rest of them in the following years.

"Prince Caspian" is an amazing book and I could not wait to finish it. When the book started off and the kids (Peter, Susan, Edmond and Lucy) were not in Narnia, the land that they loved, I felt for them and could relate as well. They were just waiting to go back as soon as Alsan, and I have been in that situation more than one time. The spiritual analogy that can be drawn from that is a lesson that most adults have trouble learning. The lesson being that everything happens in God's time. That is one thing I love about Lewis' writings, he presents these lessons in a way that people can understand/relate to.

Question:

1. Compare "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" and "Prince Caspian."

2. How could Caspian not know that he was the real prince and that his uncle was not really king?

3. What would your first reaction be to walking back into your home, and realizing it was your home but that it had been destroyed?

4. Out of the Narnians that were laying low, there seemed to be an fog of skepticism amongst them as to whether or not Aslan truly cared what happened to them. Which of the warriors do you think had the most heart and faith that he would save them?

5. Which character do you think you relate to the most and why?

1 comment:

  1. Ohh I totally agree with you, Courtney - Lewis is one of the most amazing and profound yet simple authors I have ever encountered - I love to read all his works! I can't wait to read even more of what he's written! I love the spiritual connotations in this book - all of the Narnia books, really. Amazing. One of the things I loved the most was the faith without seeing - Caspian had this faith from a child, Edmund begun to have it in this book, and Lucy had such strong faith, she saw more of Aslan - so cool. Can't wait to hear what you guys think of the rest of the books! I just read them all for the first time a couple years ago - sooo good!

    1. In The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, it's the very beginning of their Narnian adventures - they are just beginning to discover Aslan and the whole world He reigns over and offers them. Everything is new and they love every minute of it. They are all young and they all learn huge lessons, some the hard way. Whereas in the Prince Caspian, they have returned to their beloved Narnia that they thought they had lost, having already lived a long and wonderful life there - they are much wiser and have a better understanding of Aslan and the way life is - the bigger picture. They are now able to share it with others who are also searching for hope in Narnia - with Caspian and the dwarf, etc. Also, in PC, Edmund has finally seen 'the light' and is now stronger in his faith, whereas Peter and Susan have grown up a bit more and they are beginning to think less of faith, in a way, just as we all may experience as we experience more of life.

    2. Yeah, I have no idea - I asked the same question as I read it this time through. You would think it would be kind of obvious, but I think it happened sort of gradually and he was young and naive. I don't know for sure. I think Miraz was extremely conniving and deceitful and very good at it, too.

    3. Wow... I could almost feel the deep set emptiness in their hearts as they realized it was their old home, all in ruins, almost nothing left of their perfect life there. I would feel a terrible sadness and loss, I think. Such beautiful memories and treasures are in a home... To see it in ruins would be tragic. Like it would symbolize the end of a 'golden age', a perfect time in their life.

    4. The one I thought to be most faithful and pure in heart, so to speak, was Trufflehunter, the Badger. He never ever lost faith, even though he was one of the oldest and had experienced the longest period of seemingly no help from Aslan, let alone His presence. He still believed that Aslan would act - in his time (just as you said, Court!). I loved that character.

    5. I think I relate to Edmund the most, maybe. I feel, in my life, that I have faith, but it is not quite as strong as I would like it to be sometimes. I still waiver, but I truly desire that relationship with God and to live life complete in Him. I may be skeptical at times, but I am learning and I am experiencing God as never before. He is really showing Himself to me, just as Edmund has experienced in his own way with Aslan.

    ReplyDelete